Tuesday, July 24, 2012
Walgreens Night at the Races Scheduled for July 27 at Kingsport Speedway
by Robert Walden
KINGSPORT, Tenn. -- With Mother Nature forcing cancellation of last week's racing program and the track taking its annual summer break for vacation the previous week, Kingsport Speedway is primed-and-ready to roar back into action on Friday, July 27 for Walgreens Night at the Races.
An exciting NASCAR Whelen All-American Series racing program on Friday, July 27 at "The Concrete Jungle" will feature "Dalton Direct Carpets" Late Model Stock (60 laps), "Absolute Plumbing" Street Stock (30 laps), Pure 4 (20 laps), Legends (20 laps), and Rookie Pure 4 (10 laps) events.
Nate Monteith of Blountville sits atop the Late Model Stock points leaderboard on the strength of seven feature wins, holding a 25-point advantage over second-place Zeke Shell of Johnson City. Shell leads Paul Nogradi Jr. of Clinton by 16 points, while Ryan Stiltner of Grundy, Va. is fourth in the standings 30 points behind Nogradi. Holding down the fifth spot just six points behind Stiltner is Austin Peters of Kingsport.
Roger Neece of Clintwood, Va., with 10 Street Stock feature wins this season, holds a 24-point advantage over Rob Austin of Castlewood, Va. Third through fifth, respectively, in points are Chris Tunnel of Wise, Va., Jared Broadbent of Spruce Pine, N.C., and Tony Ward of Kingsport.
The top-five in Pure 4 points all reside in the Model City. With four Pure 4 feature wins, Jason Ketron stands atop the points leaderboard with a 13-point advantage over Chris Neeley. Sitting only one-point behind Neeley in third is John Ketron, father of points leader Jason. Holding down the fourth and fifth spots, respectively, are Jeremy Hughes and Keith Helton.
On the strength of 14 feature wins in 16 events, Tyler Goodwin of Kingsport holds a commanding 60-point advantage over second-place Adam Gray of Kingsport, with Abingdon, Va.'s Drew Shortridge, Zack Walton of Blountville, and Greg Turner of Nickelsville, Va., rounding out top-five in point standings.
Jimmy Hillard of Knoxville holds a 40-point advantage over Tennessee High School student Tim Abelseth in the Rookie Pure 4 division. Third through fifth in points, respectively, are Robin Hughes, Dylan Bates and Danny Pless, all three from Kingsport.
The pit gate opens Friday, July 27 at 12 p.m. (noon), with the grandstands and tier-parking gates opening at 5:45 p.m. Practice is scheduled to begin at 6 p.m., to be followed by qualifying at 7 p.m. After the invocation and national anthem at 8 p.m., the green flag will wave for the first feature at 8:05 p.m. at the .375-mile banked concrete oval.
Adult grandstand admission $10, with kids 12-and-under admitted free. Adult tier-parking admission $10 per person (plus a $10 vehicle parking spot fee). Pit passes are $25 with a NASCAR license, $35 without a license. NASCAR license forms are available at the track office during the week, and they will also be available at pit sign-in the day of event.
Tell your family, friends, neighbors and co-workers all about the exciting, action-packed weekly "Friday Night Heat on the Concrete" racing programs at Kingsport Speedway. You don't want to miss it!
Kingsport Speedway is located at 2961 North John B. Dennis Highway. For more information, call the office at (423) 288-5992, track promoter Robert Pressley at (828) 215-2077, or visit the Web site at www.NewKingsportSpeedway.com.
*** NOTE: Open practice is scheduled at Kingsport Speedway on Thursday, July 26 from 3 p.m. until dark. Pit admission $20 per person.
KINGSPORT SPEEDWAY DIVISIONAL POINT STANDINGS HEADING INTO FRIDAY, JULY 27, 2012
"DALTON DIRECT CARPETS" LATE MODEL STOCK
1. Nate Monteith #44-Blountville, TN - 395 (7 Wins)
2. Zeke Shell #97-Johnson City, TN - 370 (2 Wins)
3. Paul Nogradi Jr. #02-Clinton, TN - 354 (1 Win)
4. Ryan Stiltner #22-Grundy, VA - 324
5. Austin Peters #66-Kingsport, TN - 318
6. Royce Peters #38-Kingsport, TN - 310
7. Lee Tissot #7-Asheville, NC - 305 (1 Win)
8. Daniel Pope II #16-Smyrna, TN - 299 (3 Wins)
9. Hayden Woods #87-Piney Flats, TN - 294
10. Anthony Anders #36-Easley, SC - 288
Adam Long #3-Pounding Mill, VA (1 Win)
"ABSOLUTE PLUMBING" STREET STOCK
1. Roger Neece #22-Clintwood, VA - 412 (10 Wins)
2. Rob Austin #25-Castlewood, VA - 388 (1 Win)
3. Chris Tunnell #6-Wise, VA - 341
4. Jared Broadbent #74-Spruce Pine, NC - 328 (2 Wins)
5. Tony Ward #7-Kingsport, TN - 318
Greg Grindstaff #3-Bakersville, NC - (1 Win)
1. Jason Ketron #28-Kingsport, TN - 395 (4 Wins)
2. Chris Neeley #94-Kingsport, TN - 382 (3 Wins)
3. John Ketron #26-Kingsport, TN - 381 (6 Wins)
4. Jeremy Hughes #57-Kingsport, TN - 351
5. Keith Helton #9-Kingsport, TN - 333
Lewis Slagle #9-Asheville, NC (1 Win)
1. Tyler Goodwin #64-Kingsport, TN - 476 (14 Wins)
2. Adam Gray #37-Kingsport, TN - 416
3. Drew Shortridge #32-Abingdon, VA - 343
4. Zack Walton #38-Blountville, TN - 312 (2 Wins)
5. Greg Turner #64g-Nickelsville, VA - 302
ROOKIE PURE 4
1. Jimmy Hillard #74-Knoxville, TN - 420 (3 Wins)
2. Tim Abelseth #66-Bristol, TN - 380 (1 Win)
3. Robin Hughes #75-Kingsport, TN- 370 (1 Win)
4. Dylan Bates #6-Kingsport, TN - 349 (3 Wins)
5. Danny Pless #5-Kingsport, TN - 303
Jonathan Reed #51-Kingsport, TN (2 Wins)
Pie Short #1-Abingdon, VA (1 Win)
Lee Shults #74s-Rogersville, TN (1 Win)
Ethan Presley #83-Kingsport, TN (1 Win)
Steve Skeen #55-Mount Carmel, TN (1 Win)
John McClanahan #33-Grundy, VA (1 Win)