Friday, September 14, 2007
ULMS Prepares for Biggest Weekend in Series History
by Chris Zuver
E. SMETHPORT, Pa. -- The 2007 United Late Model Series season comes to a close at the end of the month, but before the final checkered flag falls, ULMS will be part of the season ending Fall Classic at McKean County Raceway. The richest weekend in both series and track history, with a total payout of over $60,000 for the two separate late model shows on Friday and Saturday, September 28-29.
It all begins on Friday night, the 28th of September, when the makeup Dave Lundgren Memorial is held to kick off the Fall Classic weekend. The winner will go home with a cool $5000 in the thirty-lap sprint. There is approximately $600 in lap money available as well. The event is in honor of former MCR late model track champion and Smethport native, Dave Lundgren who lost a courageous battle with cancer. Defending ULMS champion and Lundgren Memorial winner, Bob Close will be back to defend his event title, but he comes into the event six points behind, ULMS point leader, David Scott. Scott, won at MCR earlier in the year, he will no doubt be one of the favorites on this night. Last year, Close defeated, Dave Hess and Boom Briggs to capture the Dave Lundgren Memorial. This year’s race should be a classic with it only being 30 laps and there should be some outsiders stopping in for a visit. A pig roast will be held also after the Friday night’s events as well. Gates open at 3PM on Friday with racing kicking off at 7PM. ULMS hot laps will be at 6PM and at this time it will be the only hot lap session for the ULMS late models for the weekend.
On Saturday, the ULMS late models will still be around MCR as the teams gear up for the 2nd annual Priority Care RaceFAN 50 that will see someone go home with a cool $12,000 first place prize! Last year, perennial World of Outlaw driver, Chub Frank held off ULMS champion, Bob Close for the win. A great field of dirt late models is expected as last years event drew fifty-nine entries and this year’s event is expected to draw more, especially with the Dave Lundgren Memorial the night before. MCR has offered a $3000 bonus to any driver that could win both ULMS events and if one driver could win both Friday and Saturday night, they would go home $20,000 richer! Teams from Pennsylvania, New York, Ohio, West Virginia, Ontario and Quebec, Canada have contacted ULMS and MCR officials. Chub Frank is expected to return to defend his 2006 title. Scott and Close will decide the point title, but a bad night by either racer on Friday night could leave the point championship door open to John Lobb, Greg Oakes or Chris Farrell. Dave Hess, Mike Knight and Boom Briggs have an outside chance at still capturing the title.
Chris Farrell leads John Lobb by one point in the Jerge’s / Ed Carley Motorsports Hard Charger Award. Farrell has been Mr. Consistency all season long. Lobb has one win this year as he picked up the win at the Hill Raceway in July. Darrell Bossard is still within striking distance for the $200 cash prize from Jerge’s Buyers of Scrap Metal and the $200 discount from Ed Carley Motorsports towards a new body.
ULMS rules will apply for both Friday and Saturday nights events. Weight limit will be 2200#, no two way radios will be allowed. Any tire brand and any tire compound will is allowed (Hoosier, American Racer, Goodyear). ULMS fan friendly race procedures will be enforced, including pill draw for qualifying heat events, top qualified cars will redraw for starting positions for feature events both days. Qualifying heat events will be a minimum of ten laps in length and may be longer in length due to car count. The number of Bmains will be determined by the car count as will the laps.
On Saturday, MCR will have a chicken barbeque at noon, while the Ultimate Fan party kicks off at 1PM in the tech barn. From 1:30 to 2:30 PM there will be a ULMS driver autograph session held for the fans. Gates open at 3PM with racing beginning at 6PM. The rain date for the weekend is Sunday, September 30.
MCR will be holding two separate 50/50 drawings over the weekend. Friday's drawing will be for cash. In addition to Cash for Saturday’s 50/50 winner, MCR has lined up some pretty cool bonus prizes, which will be given away following the ULMS Priority Care Race Fans 50. They are:
1st Prize - 50% of tickets sold, brought to you by you the Fans! 2nd Prize - 32" LCD TV, donated by Southeastern Transmission, Olean NY 3rd Prize - (3) Nextel Cup Tickets to the Subway 500 at Martinsville October 21, 2007, donated by Shane Peters, Port Allegany PA 4th Prize - Signed Super Late Model Door Skin, donated by Close Racing Supply, decorated by Cousins Design and Signed by all participants in the Fall Classic.
In addition, there will be two top 12 Frisbee tosses - 1 on Friday Night for the FASTRAK Late Model race and 1 on Saturday Night for the ULMS Priority Care RaceFAN 50 race - 24 prizes will be up for grabs including an IPOD Shuffle, Event Shirts, 1/24 scale Die Cast Car and many more items.
ULMS will be conducting a 50/50 both nights as well in the pits and all 2007 ULMS t-shirts have been reduced in price. All adult shirts will be $15.00 and youth sizes will be $10.00.
Campers are reminded that there are a limited number of water/sewer hookups available on a first come, first serve basis. Campers can start coming into the track on Monday, September 24.
Breakfast will be served at 8:00 AM in the Grange Building on Saturday, the 29th by Fox's Pizza. MCR will have donuts, coffee and orange juice on sale as well.
Coolers are allowed to be taken into the speedway, however they must fit in front of you and cannot have any glass bottles.
Weekend passes are on Sale Now, Prices are $35.00 for a two day General Grandstand Admission (age 18-61), $32.00 for Sr. Citizens and Youth ages 11-17. Two-day pit passes are $50.00. Friday night prices are $18.00 for Adults, $16.00 for Sr. Citizens and Youths (11-17). Prices for Saturday only are $20.00 for Adults (18-61), Sr. Citizens and youths (11-17) are $18.00, while children 10 and under are free both days. Any single day pit pass is $30.00.
MCR FALL CLASSIC PURSES
MCKEAN COUNTY RACEWAY (PA)
ULMS Dave Lundgren Memorial (Super Late Models) $5000 to WIN (30 Laps) Entry Fee $20.00
1) $5,000 2) 2,000 3) 1,100 4) 900 5) 800 6) 700 7) 650 8) 625 9) 600 10)
575 11) 525 12) 475 13) 425 14) 400 15) 350 16) 325 17) 300 18-24) 250$100 – Non Qualifiers
ULMS PRIORITY CARE RACE FAN 50
$50 Entry fee
1) $12,000 2) 6,800 3) 5,500 4) 4,200 5) 3,000 6) 2,100 7) 1,400 8) 1,000 9) 900 10) 800 11) 750 12) 725 13) 700 14) 650 15) 600 16) 575 17) 525 18-24) 500$100 – Non Qualifiers
BONUS $3,000 to any driver that wins both ULMS Events $5,000 to any driver that wins both ULMS Events and Friday’s FASTRAK Don Hardy Memorial
(Heading Into FALL CLASSIC Weekend)
1. #3 David Scott (Garland, PA) 154**
2. #04 Bob Close (Eldred, PA) 148*
3. #28J John Lobb (Frewsburg, NY) 131*
4. #22 Greg Oakes (Franklinville, NY) 125 5. #53 Chris Farrell (Clearfield, PA) 118 6. #44 Dave Hess (Waterford, PA) 108 7. #99B Boom Briggs (Bear Lake, PA) 107 8. #9K Mike Knight (Ripley, NY) 105 9. #7 Jason Dupont (Rew, PA) 96 10. #32 Jeff Hoffman (Clarendon, PA) 90 11. #22B Darrell Bossard (Centerville, PA) 89 12. #50 Bob McMillen (St. Mary’s PA) 79 13. #01 Doug Ricotta (Warsaw, NY) 77 14. #27c Ed Connor (Dubois, PA) 63 15. #9 Rick Isadore (Smethport, PA) 61 16. #4D Chad Hollenbeck (Kingsley, PA) 60 17. #2v Chad Valone (Warren, PA) 57 18. #42 Todd Andrews (Eldred, PA) 48* 19. #5w Waylon Wagner (McVeytown, PA) 46 20. #33 Chris Hackett (Erie, PA) 45 21. #07R Brent Rhebergan (Clymer, NY) 44 22. #99z Dave Zona (Montrose, PA) 44 23. #40 Dutch Davies (Warren, PA) 43 24. #5B Kirk Bradley (Great Valley, NY) 42 25. #21D Dan Stone (Thompson, PA) 42 26. #43 Mile Stitzinger (Warren, PA) 41 27. #15 Luke Hoffner (Turbortville, PA) 39 28. #6M Harry Miller (Jersey Shore, PA) 38 29. #24x Dave Norton (Shinglehouse, PA) 36 30. #28B Dick Barton (Ashville, NY) 33 31. #5J Jeremy Ohl (Lock Haven, PA) 32 32. #5x Vern Wasson (Jersey Shore, PA) 28 33. #12 Doug Drown (Wooster, OH) 26 34. #22G Greg Satterlee (Rochester Mills, PA) 25 35. #22H Bump Hedman (Sugar Grove, PA) 25 36. #z1 Mike Wonderling (Wellsville, NY) 24 37. #71 Al Brewer (Belfast, NY) 24 38. #53L Roger Laughlin (McVerytown, PA) 24 39. #78 Rod Maloy (Panama, NY) 23 40. #18 Jeremy Randall (S. Gibson, PA) 22 41. #28L Randy Lobb (Jamestown, NY) 21 42. #17 Keith Barbara (S. Park, PA) 21 43. #9B Paul Briggs (Ashville, NY) 20 44. #23 Bud Phillips (Susquehanna, PA) 20 45. #7x Billy Marvin ( Hallstead, PA) 20 46. #91 Jim Rozum (Kennerdell, PA) 20 47. #4 Alex Ferree (Saxonburg, PA) 18 48. #21G Greg Gellner (Wheeling, WV) 17 49. #71s Joe Watson (Bradford, PA) 16 50. #49 John Haggerty (Olean, NY) 16 51. #5M Ryan Markham (Ashland, OH) 16 52. #1M Peter Manthas (Gatineu, Quebec, Canada) 16 53. #1H Jared Miley (S. Park, PA) 15 54. #SR1 Tom Shaffer (Puxustawney, PA) 14 55. #61s Ward Schell (Warren, PA) 13 56. #22c Chad Ruhlman (Bemis Point NY) 13 57. #27 Jim Yoder (Selinsgrove, PA) 12 58. #62 Kenny Johnson (Parkersburg, WV) 11 59. #SR2 Dylan Yoder (Selinsgrove, PA) 10 60 #26G Geroge Lbarbera (Sugar Grove, PA) 2 61. #7 Russ Hefti (Eldridge, NY) 1 62. #0 Ryan Scott (Garland, PA) 1 63. #21A Pete Alspaugh (Russell, PA) 1
JERGE’S / Ed Carley Motorsports
Hard Charger of Year:
Chris Farrell (28)
John Lobb (27)
Darrell Bossard (22)
Bob McMillen (15)
Brent Rhebergan (15)
Doug Drown (14)
Miles Stitzinger (14)
Harry Miller (13)
Jeremy Ohl (12)
Randy Lobb (12)
Todd Andrews (11)
Waylon Wagner (10)
David Scott (9)
Greg Oakes (9)
Dick Barton (9)
Jim Rozum (9)
Dave Hess (7)
Chad Valone (7)
Roger Laughlin (7)
Jason Dupont (6)
Bob Close (6)
Dave Zona (6)
Vern Wasson (6)
Boom Briggs (5)
Kirk Bradley (4)
Ed Connor (4)
Dave Norton (4)
Mike Knight (4)
Greg Gellner (3)
Dan Stone (3)
Joe Watson (3)
Chris Hackett (2)
Bump Hedman (2)
Doug Ricotta (2)
Dylan Yoder (2)
Tom Shaffer (1)
Dutch Davies (1)
Bernheisel Race Cars Rookie of the Year:
Mike Knight 105
Russ Hefti (1)
R&M Home and Auto/AMSOIL Challenge:
#32 Jeff Hoffman (Clarendon, PA) 90
#71 Al Brewer (Belfast, NY) 24