Saturday, July 21, 2012
Homecoming Sweet for Conley Scores First NASCAR K&N Pro Series East Win in Return to Columbus
COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Cale Conley celebrated a return to his 'home' track with his first NASCAR victory Saturday night at Columbus Motor Speedway.
The 20-year-old from Vienna, W.V., started second and led all 150 laps to win the Jegs 150.
Points leader Brett Moffitt edged Darrell Wallace Jr. in the closing laps to finish second. Sergio Pena and Daniel Suarez finished fourth and fifth, respectively.
It was the 14th career start in the series for Conley, who began racing as a youngester on the 1/20th-mile quarter-midget track behind Turn 2 at Columbus. In his previous two starts this season in the NASCAR K&N Pro Series East, Conley finished third at Iowa Speedway and second at Gresham Motorsports Park in Jefferson, Ga.
With the win, Conley locked in a starting spot at the UNOH Battle At The Beach on the .400-mile oval on the backstrech of Daytona International Speedway. The showcase event is scheduled for Speedweeks next February.
Conley qualified second Saturday on the .333-mile oval behind Ben Kennedy, but immediately jumped to the lead and fended off challenges from Kennedy, Moffitt, and Corey LaJoie throughout the evening.
It was a big points night for Moffitt as top championship contenders LaJoie, Kyle Larson and Chase Elliott all suffered misfortune.
LaJoie and Larson were forced into the pits in the closing 10 laps with flat tires while running second and sixth, respectively. LaJoie finished 17th and Larson 21st. Elliott suffered a flat tire in the opening laps, never got a chance to get back on the lead lap and finished 15th. After nine of 14 races, Moffitt leads Elliott by 22 points, Larson by 23 and LaJoie by 33.
The Jegs 150 will air on SPEED on Thursday, Aug. 2 at 3 p.m. ET.
The NASCAR K&N Pro Series East will next take the track on Friday, Aug. 3 in the second combination race of the season with the NASCAR K&N Pro Series West at Iowa Speedway in Newton, Iowa.
NASCAR K&N PRO SERIES EAST-JEGS 150 Results
At Columbus Motor Speedway
Lap length: 0.33 miles
(Start position in parentheses)
1. (2) Cale Conley, Vienna, WV, Toyota, 150 laps, 57.006 mph.
2. (5) Brett Moffitt, Grimes, Iowa, Toyota, 150.
3. (7) Darrell Wallace, Jr., Concord, NC, Toyota, 150.
4. (10) Sergio Pena, Winchester, Va, Toyota, 150.
5. (3) Daniel Suarez, Monterrey, Mexico, Toyota, 150.
6. (6) Bryan Ortiz, Bayamon, Puerto Rico, Toyota, 150.
7. (1) Ben Kennedy, Daytona Beach, Fla., Chevrolet, 150.
8. (15) Jimmy Weller, Hubbard, Ohio, Toyota, 150.
9. (11) Brandon Gdovic, Yorktown, Va, Toyota, 150.
10. (14) Eddie MacDonald, Rowley, Mass, Chevrolet, 150.
11. (18) Sam Hunt, Midlothian, Va, Dodge, 150.
12. (19) Clay Campbell, Martinsville, Va, Chevrolet, 150.
13. (17) Ryan Gifford, Winchester, Tenn, Toyota, 149.
14. (20) Ali Jackson, Moyvalley Co. Kildare, Ireland, Dodge, 149.
15. (8) Chase Elliott, Dawsonville, Ga, Chevrolet, 148.
16. (21) Tim Bell, Los Altos, Ca, Chevrolet, 148.
17. (4) Corey LaJoie, Concord, NC, Ford, 148.
18. (13) Austin Hill, Winston, Ga, Toyota, 147.
19. (12) Carlos Iaconelli, Sao Paulo, Brazil, Toyota, 146.
20. (22) Xavi Razo, Mexico City, Mexico, Chevrolet, 146.
21. (9) Kyle Larson, Elk Grove, Ca, Toyota, 143.
22. (16) Jorge Arteaga, Aguascalientes, Mexico, Toyota, 108, accident.
Time of Race: 52 minutes, 6 seconds
Margin of Victory: 3.825 seconds
Fastest Qualifier: Ben Kennedy (84.381 mph, 14.207 seconds)
Caution Flags: 6 for 35 laps.
Lead Changes: 0 among 1 drivers.
Lap Leaders: C. Conley 1-150.
Standings: 1. B. Moffitt, 352; 2. C. Elliott, 330; 3. K. Larson, 329; 4. C. LaJoie, 319; 5. B. Gdovic, 311; 6. B. Kennedy, 309; 7. B. Ortiz, 307; 8. E. MacDonald, 304; 9. S. Pena, 280; 10. D. Wallace,Jr., 278.