Saturday, July 28, 2012
Pursley Leads All The Way For NASCAR K&N Pro Series West Win At Colorado
DACONO, Colo. – The veteran is back on top.
Greg Pursley, the defending NASCAR K&N Pro Series West champion, took the lead from teammate and polesitter Dylan Kwasniewski on Lap 1 and withstood a green-white-checkered finish to win the NAPA/Toyota 150 Saturday at Colorado National Speedway.
Pursley piloted his No. 26 GPM/Star Nursery/Real Water Ford by Kwasniewski early in the race and held off a hard-charging Derek Thorn during the final restart to pick up his third win of the season and 12th overall in his series career.
It was the third wire-to-wire finish this season in the series with Kwasniewski accomplishing it on May 5th at Stockton while David Mayhew did it at Phoenix to open the season on March 3rd.
Pursley finished second to Kwasniewski last year at Colorado and started alongside him on the front row in front of a packed house.
Additionally, the victory boosted Pursley into the points lead in front of Kwasniewski, who had held the top spot since the Stockton win, by three points. Mayhew holds down the third position while Thorn is ranked fourth.
Cameron Haley rebounded from a spin on Lap 122 to finish third with Michael Self fourth and Kwasniewski completing the top five.
Michael Waltrip made his seventh career start in the series and finished sixth with Eric Holmes close in seventh. David Mayhew, Ben Kennedy and Braeden Havens completed the top 10.
The race was slowed six times by caution with the final one on lap 147 setting up the extended distance in the race.
The NAPA/Toyota 150 will air on SPEED on Aug. 9 at 3 p.m. ET.
The next event for the NASCAR K&N Pro Series West will be the Pork Be Inspired 150 at Iowa Speedway on Aug. 3.
NASCAR K&N PRO SERIES WEST- UNOFFICIAL NAPA/Toyota 150 Results
At Colorado National Speedway
Lap length: 0.37 miles
(Start position in parentheses)
1. (2) Greg Pursley, Newhall, CA, Ford, 153 laps, 54.230 mph.
2. (8) Derek Thorn, Lakeport, CA, Ford, 153.
3. (5) Cameron Hayley, Calgary, Alberta, Toyota, 153.
4. (4) Michael Self, Park City, UT, Chevrolet, 153.
5. (1) Dylan Kwasniewski, Las Vegas, NV, Ford, 153.
6. (7) Michael Waltrip, Owensboro, Ky., Toyota, 153.
7. (6) Eric Holmes, Escalon, CA, Toyota, 153.
8. (3) David Mayhew, Atascadero, CA, Chevrolet, 153.
9. (11) Ben Kennedy, Daytona Beach, FL, Toyota, 153.
10. (10) Braeden Havens, Spokane, Wash., Chevrolet, 153.
11. (18) Carl Harr, Edmonton, Alberta, Chevrolet, 153.
12. (14) Austin Dyne, Malibu, Calif., Ford, 153.
13. (17) Travis Milburn, Eagle, ID, Chevrolet, 150.
14. (19) John Wood, Eagle, ID, Dodge, 150.
15. (9) Jonathon Gomez, Twin Falls, ID, Chevrolet, 149.
16. (21) Billy Kann, Tempe, AZ, Toyota, 149.
17. (23) Zack Huffman, Manteca, Calif., Ford, 149.
18. (15) Taylor Cuzick, Tolleson, Ariz., Chevrolet, 147, accident.
19. (22) Anthony Giannone, Colorado Sprgs, Colo., Chevrolet, 147.
20. (12) Dylan Hutchison, Fair Oaks, CA, Chevrolet, 140.
21. (16) Daryl Harr, Edmonton, Alberta, Chevrolet, 138.
22. (13) Ryan Philpott, Tracy, CA, Ford, 137.
23. (20) Jack Sellers, Sacramento, CA, Chevrolet, 134.
24. (24) Daniel Graeff, Miami, Fla., Ford, 98, accident.
Time of Race: 1 hour 2 minutes 38 seconds
Margin of Victory: .138 seconds
Fastest Qualifier: D.Kwasniewski (80.338 mph, 16.58 seconds)
Caution Flags: 6 for 32 laps.
Lead Changes: 0 among 1 drivers.
Lap Leaders: G. Pursley 1-153.
Standings: 1. G. Pursley, 424; 2. D. Kwasniewski, 421; 3. D. Mayhew, 392; 4. D. Thorn, 390; 5. E. Holmes, 366; 6. M. Self, 351; 7. J. Gomez, 343; 8. C. Hayley, 334; 9. A. Dyne, 319; 10. R. Philpott, 286.